Sunday, January 22, 2006

You MUST get "Long Way Round"

REVIEW: Absolutely stunning documentary/series/film/whatever. You follow along with Ewan MacGregor and Charley Boorman as go on their round-the-world journey on a couple of BMW GS's in 2004.

I've read lots of comments about this on various boards; Amazon, IMDB, etc., but none of them really spoke to what struck me - the intimacy you as the viewer have with Ewan and Charley. These guys have no guards up - you see just a couple of friends goofing off, having fun, frustrated, terrified and elated. It is without a doubt, the most "honest" television I have seen, perhaps ever.

I dare even the most hardened biker to not get choked up or be touched by the final episode, when Ewan and Charley are reuinted with their wives after ~120 days, and their final ride into Manhattan. Ironically enough, I was still living in Manhattan in the summer of 2004, and living just blocks away from their final destination party. Damn! I wish I'd know about this then.

Recommendations:
1)If you buy the DVD, definitely look for the 10 episode "Extended Edition" that of the series that was shown on Outdoor Life Network - not the 7 episode version from the original Bravo airing. The extended footage - and the (ahem) colorful language is all the more realistic. Also - make sure to watch the Extras - the scenes are brilliant!

2) Read the book. I haven't yet picked up "The Illustrated Edition", but the standard hardcover is an excellent read - and adds a LOT of color you wouldn't pick up by watching the series. The book is written in an alternating diary style by both Ewan and Charley, and adds their personal thoughts & concerns that just couldn't come across on film.

Also - check out their web site here.

No comments: